Work during your studies

Whether you choose to work on or off-campus, make sure you understand the requirements.

Work on-campus

Am I eligible?
You may work on-campus at the institution you are attending without a work permit if:

  • You are a full-time student at an eligible post-secondary institution; and,
  • You have a valid study permit.

For more information about working on-campus, contact your post-secondary institution’s international education office.

Work off-campus

You may work off campus at the institution you are attending without a work permit.

Am I eligible?
If you qualify, your study permit will allow you to:

  • Work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions; and,
  • Work full-time during scheduled breaks, such as the winter and summer holidays or spring break.

To qualify, you must:

  • Have a valid study permit;
  • Be a full-time student;
  • Be enrolled at a designated learning institution at the post-secondary level or, in Quebec, a vocational program at the secondary level; and,
  • Be studying in an academic, vocational, or professional training program that leads to a degree, diploma or certificate that is at least six months in duration.

For more information about working off-campus, refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

Co-op and internship programs

Some programs include work experience as part of the curriculum. You must apply for a work permit to participate in co-op or internship programs.

Am I eligible?
You may be eligible for a work permit if:

  • You have a valid study permit;
  • Your intended employment is an essential part of your program of study;
  • Your employment is part of your academic, vocational or professional training program offered by an eligible institution, certified by a letter from your institution; and,
  • Your co-op or internship does not form more than 50 percent of the total program of study.

For more information about working as a co-op or intern, refer to the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada website.

How do I apply?

Apply online

  1. Determine if you are eligible for a work permit.
  2. Follow the steps to complete your application online.

Apply on paper or on

  1. Download the application package
  2. Complete the application and provide the required documentation.
  3. Mail the application form and documents to the address included in the application.