British Columbia has a great health care system with hospitals, walk-in clinics, general practitioner doctor’s offices, and various specialists for specific health problems.

Photo: Emily Carr University of Art + Design

Health insurance

The BC government Medical Services Plan (BC MSP) is a mandatory public health insurance plan for everyone who lives in BC for 6 months or longer. The BC MSP is an important part of benefitting from the health care available to all BC residents. If you are not enrolled, you will have to pay for medical expenses independently.

You must apply for MSP as soon as you arrive in BC. You cannot apply for MSP before you arrive.

As of January 1, 2020, all study permit holders are charged a $75 health-care coverage fee per month. You will receive a bill and must pay the BC government directly. You can pay online and set up online services, such as seeing your balance, setting up paperless invoicing, and autopayments.

If your family is with you in Canada, they will only be charged the new health-care coverage fee if they also hold study permits. If they hold work permits or are here as visitors, they will not be charged the fee.

The fees are subject to change. Check the MSP website for the most up-to-date information.

What does MSP cover?

  • MSP covers
  • Basic medical care within Canada
  • Most doctor’s visits
  • Most hospital visits
  • Travel
  • MSP does not cover
  • Dental care
  • Prescription drugs
  • Eye exams and corrective lenses
  • Travel

How do I apply for MSP?

Register for MSP as soon as you arrive in BC. It will take three months for your coverage to start (the month in which you arrive in BC plus two full calendar months).

When your application is processed, your MSP card, or BC Services Card (formerly known as “BC CareCard”), will be mailed to the address you provided in your application. Your BC Services Card will indicate your coverage period, which should match the expiration date of your status in Canada (such as your study or work permit). Note that your card will not include your photo. Take this card with you to all medical visits.

I need medical care but I don’t have MSP yet

If you need to see a doctor and your BC Services Card has not arrived you might have to pay at the time you receive your health care. Keep your receipts and request reimbursement from MSP once your card has arrived.

If you need urgent care, inpatient services (lab, radiology, or other procedures), or a visit to the emergency department in a hospital, please show a copy of your study permit to receive a reduced rate on services.


If you will be living in BC for six months or longer you may be eligible for PharmaCare to cover some prescription drugs and designated medical supplies. Register for PharmaCare as soon as you get your BC Services Card.

Extended health-care coverage

Extended health-care coverage generally covers some of the costs of dental work, prescription drugs, eye care, and other treatments. Most post-secondary institutions recommend that you have extended health coverage.

You may prefer to pay for these health-care costs if and when needed, obtain these services in your home country, or choose a private insurance company with an extended coverage plan that meets your needs.

Contact your institution’s international education office for more information about your extended health-care coverage options.

Note: If you will be studying in BC for less than six months you are not eligible for MSP and must make sure you have private health-care insurance for your full stay.

Doctors and clinics

When you arrive in BC you should try to find a family doctor or a general practitioner (GP) who will take you on as a regular patient. This will ensure that your doctor becomes familiar with your medical history and can provide you with the best care.

If you don’t have a family doctor or can’t find one and you require non-emergency medical care outside of your doctor’s hours, there are walk-in clinics that you can visit by calling ahead to them.

Mental health information and community resources

Here 2 Talk
Here 2 Talk connects students with mental health support when they need it. This service is available to all students and is accessible anywhere in the world. Get started with free, 24/7 single-session counselling by phone or online chat.

Crisis support 24/7

Get help if you or someone else is in immediate danger, or at risk of harming yourself or others. Call 911 or visit your nearest emergency room.

If you or someone you know is feeling hopeless or at risk of harm, call or chat online with a crisis responder any time. Visit Crisis Centre BC.


VictimLinkBC is a toll-free, confidential, multilingual service available across BC and the Yukon 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and can be accessed by calling or texting 1-800-563-0808 or sending an email to It provides information and referral services to all victims of crime and immediate crisis support to victims of family and sexual violence, including victims of human trafficking exploited for labour or sexual services.

Anxiety Canada

Anxiety Canada provides self-help information on anxiety disorders, stress, depression, panic attacks, and more. It also provides access to the MindShift app, and a dedicated section for youth.


QMunity aims to respond to the needs of British Columbia’s queer, trans and Two-Spirit communities. The organization provides free counselling, support groups, information and referrals, and youth one-on-one peer support.

Looking Glass Foundation

Looking Glass Foundation is a community of prevention and support for those suffering from anorexia, bulimia, and other eating disorders. They provide residential care, a summer camp, online and in person support, and scholarships.

Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA)

CMHA gives access to accurate information on a variety of mental health disorders, mental health quizzes, and more.

Counselling BC Directory

Counselling BC Directory

If you are interested in finding a registered counsellor in the community, this directory can lead you in the right direction. Search by geographic area, type of issue you are experiencing, language, and more. View profiles of counsellors across British Columbia to find the right fit for you.

DIVERSEcity Community Resources Society

DiverseCity offers newcomers to Canada (including international students living in Surrey, Langley, White Rock, and Delta) a variety of no-cost, multilingual programs and services, including counselling, citizenship preparation, and assistance with employment.


MOSAIC has locations throughout BC, offering settlement, language, and counselling support services to immigrants and refugees. They have a free International Student Safety Guide available on their website and offer Peer Cafes focused on increasing awareness around sexual assault.