Health and safety

While coverage is mandatory in Canada, the exact type of health/dental insurance you need differs depending on if your stay is longer or shorter than six months.

     If you are staying for less than six months, you need:

  • Private insurance to cover you for the length of your stay in Canada.

     If you are staying for longer than six months, you need:

  • Private basic insurance to cover you for the first three months of your stay.
  • At the end of this three-month period, you need to enrol in the the basic Medical Services Plan (MSP) and pay the monthly premiums.

Depending on your institution, you may or may not be required to purchase extended health care/dental insurance. Extended insurance plans help to cover the cost of prescription medicine, dental care, vision care, and travel insurance.

Since healthcare provision and plans can differ depending on your institution and length of stay (for example, in some cases, the student is required to enroll in the institution’s private health insurance plan), it is best to contact the International Student Office at your institution.